Are Slip and Fall Accidents Common in the Summer?
June 11, 2020
Outdoor slip and fall accidents during the summer are common and may lead to injuries that range from mild to severe. Additionally, injuries can lead to thousands of dollars in hospital bills. Factors, such as swimming pools, grills, and bonfires, can all cause serious injuries that can leave you recovering for a long time. If you were injured as a result of a slip and fall accident, you may be eligible for compensation.
What Are Common Injuries That Happen in the Summer?
There are many injuries that can occur as a result of a slip and fall accident. Some of these injuries include:
- Shoulder dislocations
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Sprained ankles or wrists
- Cuts and bruises
- Back and spinal cord injuries
What Causes Slip and Falls in the Summer?
Some causes of slip and fall accidents that happen during the summer involve:
- Slippery surfaces: The surface around a pool can be especially slippery. It is important to take the proper precautions when at a pool and avoid running. Rain can also cause surfaces to become slippery.
- Staircases or surfaces that are old and rotted: Stairs and surfaces that are specifically made of wood are susceptible to dry rot, or wood decay caused by fungi entering the wood and consuming it from the inside.
- Dim outdoor lighting: Insufficient outdoor lighting can cause someone to trip on holes or cracks in the ground. It can also cause you to fall down steps or trip on curbs.
- Your shoes: With the warmer months quickly approaching, it is completely normal to want to break out your sandals and flip flops. Open toed shoes are less secure than other types of footwear, so you may be more susceptible to tripping and falling.
How Can You Prove Liability?
Proving who is responsible for a slip and fall can be difficult. The person injured as a result of the slip and fall accident is responsible for proving that another person had a duty of care and neglected to perform that duty of care. If the injured party was invited onto the defendant’s property, then the property owner is responsible for making sure the property is safe.
The best way to prove that a defendant is responsible for your injuries is to prove that you were invited onto the property. If you were on the owner’s property outside of normal business hours when the injury occurred, the defense may try to argue that you were trespassing. In order to obtain compensation, it is advisable to speak to an experienced lawyer.
Philadelphia Premises Liability Lawyers at Nerenberg Law Associates Represent Clients Injured in Summer Slip and Fall Accidents
If you have injuries that were caused by a slip and fall accident, contact one of our Philadelphia premises liability lawyers at Nerenberg Law Associates immediately. Our experienced lawyers will fight hard for your rights and will get you the compensation you deserve for you injuries. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 215-569-9100. Located in Philadelphia, we serve clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.